Interceptive orthodontic treatment also known as phase one, aims to straighten your child’s teeth and create a functional bite. The two-phase pediatric orthodontic treatment provided at our dental clinic in Rome,New Hartford & Watertown NY, ensures a proper foundation for your child’s normal jaw and dental development during the interceptive stage. This helps prevent oral issues like premature or delayed loss of baby teeth, overcrowding or crooked teeth, misaligned teeth, underbite, overbite, crossbites etc. All of these dental problems are best treated at an early stage when the jawbone is still soft and the bones are pliable. Early intervention is also essential to prevent serious oral problems and extensive orthodontic treatments in the future.
At Brite Orthodontics, we make sure that your child is treated in a friendly and relaxing environment throughout the two-phase treatment. Your child’s comfort is our top priority and so we take every possible effort to make them feel at ease while treating them with utmost care when they start their interceptive orthodontic treatment. The same level of care and caution continue throughout the second phase of the treatment as well.
How Does the Interceptive Orthodontic Treatment Address
Common Oral Problems?
Your child must get his/her first orthodontic assessment by the age of 7. The phase one treatment is recommended for addressing common oral problems like:
- Protruding front teeth that are caused due to thumb sucking. If left untreated, protruding teeth greatly increase the risk of tooth loss or injury.
- Underbites and overbites.
- Anterior or posterior crossbites as they can cause excessive tooth wear and gum recession if left untreated and also result in asymmetric growth of the jaw bone.
- Premature or delayed loss of baby teeth that can lead to loss of space or result in extra space, both of which are difficult to treat at a later stage.
At Brite Orthodontics, we use different appliances and partial braces depending on the treatment plan that has been customized according to the unique needs of your child. Phase one usually extends over a period of 6 to 12 months.
Our trained dental team will educate you and your child about the oral hygiene routine that needs to be followed during the treatment so that living with braces does not get challenging for your child. The first phase is usually followed by a resting period which allows the permanent teeth to erupt naturally.
The Advantages of Interceptive Orthodontic Treatment for Your Child
Your child will benefit from the phase one treatment in the following ways:
- Proper growth and development of jawbone and teeth
- A strong foundation for timely and correct eruption of permanent teeth
- Reduced risk of tooth and jawbone injury
- Lower risk of gum tissue damage and speech problems
- Reduced possibility of expensive and extensive orthodontics treatments in future
- Lesser chances of teeth grinding, cavities, and periodontal diseases
Whether you are bringing your child for his or her first orthodontic assessment or for a follow-up appointment, we at Brite Orthodontics ensure that children receive the best orthodontic treatment that is safe and caring for them and affordable for parents. You can find us these three locations Rome, New Hartford & Watertown, NY