We are sure you might have heard about the Invisalign method to straighten your teeth. However, since it is a fairly new method, as opposed to the traditional braces, you might not know much about it. But don’t worry, we can help you with that!
How Does Invisalign Works?
Known as one of the best orthodontic brands to provide clear aligners, Invisalign aligns your smile correctly. While you will see the traditional braces using wires to straighten your teeth, Invisalign uses a series of molds that force your teeth to change their position. Wear aligners every day and night except while eating or drinking. They are easily removable, so you can remove them easily to clean and floss your teeth. Let’s take an in-depth look at how they work!
The Invisalign Process
- Your treatment begins with a consultation in which the doctor will examine your smile and design a customized digital plan that gives a detailed step-by-step transformation of your smile.
- Your orthodontist will then take digital scans of your teeth and jaw and then make a mold of your teeth to create Invisalign trays for them.
- Note that your orthodontist will give you tooth-colored attachments to move your teeth as an additional tool for your aligners. It will take a few days to adjust to the aligners, and you may even experience a slight lisp until your tongue adjusts to it.
- Wear the aligners every day and night for at least 6 to 18 months (depending on your treatment). Your orthodontist will call you for regular checkups every week or two to have a new set made.
Once you get your aligners, ensure that you get clear instructions from your orthodontist on how long you have to wear your aligners every day. Typically, we recommend wearing them almost 22 hours a day, depending on the treatment. If you have to get new aligner trays made every one or two weeks, this means that your Invisalign treatment is going successfully.
Invisalign pros and cons
Are you confused about this treatment being suitable for you? Here is a list of pros and cons you can look out for and decide if you need Invisalign.
Pros of Invisalign
- Since they are much less noticeable than traditional braces, you won’t get conscious of your appearance.
- You can remove them while eating and drinking, making them hassle-free.
- They are convenient to remove, so you can brush and floss your teeth with no obstacles.
- Invisalign does not have any metal wires or brackets, hence, reducing the risk of emergency visits to your orthodontist.
- You do not risk getting any food particles stuck in your Invisalign since you must remove them while eating. This gives you the freedom to eat any food with no restrictions. You can eat whatever you want – from your favorite flavored popcorn to chewy candies.
Cons of Invisalign
- Invisalign is less effective in correcting major misalignment issues than traditional braces.
- You have to remind yourself to remove them while eating and store them safely.
Frequently Asked Questions About Invisalign
There are a lot of factors that makes Invisalign a better choice than braces. With Invisalign, your oral routine stays the same. People with braces face the difficulty of keeping their regular oral routine intact since the metal wires come in their way of brushing and flossing. People with braces also have to cut back on eating hard, sticky and crunchy foods. Want to know more about which is better: Invisalign or Braces?
No, you cannot eat anything while wearing Invisalign because they are not strong enough to resist the pressure of chewing and biting. You can check out the full list of what you can eat with Invisalign here.
Using Invisalign is a great way to treat your misaligned teeth while being utterly discreet about it, but these invisible aligners need to be taken extreme care of! Although these aligners are powerful enough to move your crooked and misaligned teeth into the correct position, they need delicate care once you wear them. Read more about tips on how to drink with Invisalign.
We recommend you wear your Invisalign at all times of the day. Only remove them while you are eating or brushing. Yes, this means you have to wear them even while sleeping, and no, you won’t feel uncomfortable wearing them to sleep because each aligner is custom-made to make you feel comfortable.
Since they are transparent, you need to clean them often. There are chances of your Invisalign turning yellow and building bacteria if not cleaned properly. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to clean your Invisalign properly.
A few people experience minor discomfort with their Invisalign for the first few days. However, it goes away once your teeth adjust to the shape. Don’t panic if you experience any discomfort or pain, as it is normal because the Invisalign will apply pressure to shift your teeth and straighten them. Other than this, there is no need to worry since Invisalign is custom-made to sit perfectly on your teeth.
We advise you to wear your Invisalign for at least 22 hours a day. Follow your regular brushing and flossing routine to prevent any bacteria buildups and ensure that you store your Invisalign aligners in the case provided. Here is the do’s & don’ts of Invisalign.
On average, it takes approximately 9 to 12 months to straighten your teeth with Invisalign, but the time taken is different for each person, depending on the treatment.
No, you shouldn’t smoke while wearing Invisalign as tobacco and other harmful substances can harm its structure. Apart from that, it can decrease the effectiveness of your treatment and can cause several other health issues. There are several other consequences of smoking with Invisalign.
Contact our expert doctors for more information regarding Invisalign, misaligned teeth, Invisalign cleaning crystals, or any other dental issue. Brite Orthodontics are a go-to clinic providing orthodontic solutions for more than 11 years in Rome, New Hartford & Watertown, New York.